A youth leadership and governance initiative that engages Indigenous and non-Indigenous Youth to identify and work together toward solutions to the social issues they face – starting in their local neighbourhoods and city.
Our Place Youth Voices of East Van partners have committed to supporting youth in developing and bringing forward asks and recommendations to local organizations and all orders of government around the resources and policy changes needed in order to create equitable and inclusive neighbourhoods in East Vancouver, particularly for Indigenous, low-income, racialized and newcomer youth.
Youth Advisory Team
A key component of this project is a Youth Advisory team supported by Partner Organizations and reflective of the diversity of Youth in the 5 inner city neighbourhoods. In their neighbourhoods, youth have the opportunity to participate in learning, mentorship, work assignments and project placements with Partner Organizations and other interested participating groups. The Youth Advisory Team is open to youth between 15-30 who identify as part of the East Van community. Recruitment is ongoing.
Areas of focus have included:
- Communication and Advocacy Approaches
- Policy development, particularly around housing, income inequality and economic development, and urban Indigenous inclusion and representation
- Team-building, leadership and skills development
- Community-based projects with local organizations
- Outreach to other community youth
- Developing & delivering inclusion and capacity-building workshops with local organizations
- Creating a rubric for organizations to use as a tool to measure their inclusivity of youth